Thursday, October 05, 2006

This is the Letter That LBAC Doesn't Want You to Know About

Following is the letter that Alex sent on August 11. As you can well imagine, she never imagined they would stoop to such depths.

Sent: Friday, August 11, 2006 8:53 AM
To: 'wemoore@longbeach.com'Cc: 'mayor@ci.long-beach.ca.us'; 'cityattorney@ci.long-beach.ca.us'; 'editor@gazettes.com'Subject: long beach animal control - out of control?
Mr. Moore
Director
Long beach animal control
First off I would like to let you know that I have forwarded this to my fellow DAW members, as well as the many others that are working to a better solution to the world of animal welfare – which includes working with our local shelters- in addition I will be forwarding this to any city, county and state agency needed, as well as the local papers.

What has happened to day is the last straw in a long list of unacceptable actions that LBAC has been involved in. I was hoping that at this point we would have, after many years of disagreement come to an understanding.
The reputation of long beach animal control has long been one of aggression and fear tactics, that have frankly frightened many of the citizens that these officers work for – during the years that I have run Noah’s ark animal rescue I cannot tell you how many of these such horror stories I have heard from many of the local residents-
We have heard of the threats and harassment that the city employees- that are under your direction have engaged in- how they fear LBAC.
I have just received such a call this evening and it is 9 pm.
The citizens should not have to fear their employees
Having experienced several incidents first hand I do know of this aggressive and threatening behavior – but I was under the impression that it was your interest to change all that as well as the image of LBAC.
It was for the good of Noah’s ark that I stepped aside so that animal controls personal attacks to me could no longer be directed to this wonder rescue that for one reason or another everyone has appreciated this rescue and its efforts but the very city it helps can not see. – (I only volunteer on occasion with fundraisings etc...)
If this rescue had anything to hide the hundreds of volunteers that have come through surly would have come forward with a complaint – the local girl scouts, the ROP students that have now been coming for almost two years – the CSU community service committee – the school programs for community service – the list goes on.

This is a rescue that has been featured twice recently on the morning news – the breathtaking mural alone has made the news – they will be featured on the Hollywood dog magazine due out the 20th of this month – the thousands of letter of thanks and appreciation still cannot get your office to stop their attacks.
But that is another story –
Lately as my position has changed -my attention is now drawn to the many complaints that I get from concerned citizens – some I have mentioned to LT Quigley and others I have just taken notes on as I sort through, what seems to be serious concerns and what is just an angry person lashing out – and I am now working on a signed grievance by the many complaints that has been brought to our attention (you would be surprised how many signatures we have- one complaint from an editor of a major paper in another city- who has happily adopted from Noah’s ark.)
But today I was contacted by the folks at Noah’s ark as they were again being harassed by your officers –
I was hoping that would stop with my departure but since this is an organization that is near and dear to me and one of which I know first hand has been harassed in the past -they clearly knew that I would take action.
Your officer Estrada came to the rescue aggressively and with a very unprofessional attitude – this was confirmed to me by several witnesses – now I know that many of your officers are wonderful animal lovers and several do have issues – and if I remember, Estrada was one of those with attitude issues- because if memory serves I made a complaint to you about his slanderous remarks on his encounters with the public about Noah’s Ark.
But on this occasion this man was out of control
He demanded that a falcon that was found and brought to this rescue be immediately relinquished – his manor was that of a man accusing these good folks of stealing, when all they did was try their best to help what they felt was an injured pet – that is what they do – they contacted the proper authorities, learned of what food was to be fed and had made arrangements to have this bird transferred to the wild life weigh station on Friday. That was not immediate enough to Mr Estrada and even with the reassurance from rescue that was working along with them to make this transport happen- your officer still verbally dehumanized these folks – (who are all volunteers unlike your paid officer) and there out of love for these animals.
No one argued with him about taking the bird as long as it was going to be rescued they didn’t care who did it – so they handed the bird over to him.
That was not enough- your officer demanded that he ‘walk’ the premises – when informed that the dogs were out for their daily play time he ignored them and went to the main doorway ( now he could look around mind you with out opening the door because there are half doors as many of your officers can attest to and he did look inside causing them to bark at a stranger and even remarked “why are the lights off” – the volunteer replied “to make it calmer and cooler for the babies”
He ignored her and reached for the door when Gloria a very small 100 lbs female stood in front of the door and advised him that the dogs were loose and that he would cause havoc and may even get bitten- your aggressive officer pushed her aside (this was witnessed by several there including her 13 year old child) and opened the door anyway saying that “the dogs were already barking” and that there were a lot more issues then just the bird.
Now this rescue has had many recent visits and one of them a complaint was made to LT Quigley about – the fact the 3 trucks were needed to pick up one small feral cat did seem excessive- how ever LT Quigley kindly informed me that it was a training issue – not meant to make Noah’s ark look bad) but all of the investigations or allegations came back cleared –
But this man clearly had an agenda.
Of course when opening the door one of the dogs scared, lunged and tried to bite him – terrified -he slammed the door on this poor dogs face causing him to yelp in pain!
This is unacceptable!!!
No one has the right to touch another person or because any pet to yelp in pain – many of the pets have been traumatized as it is -how dare your employee add to their fear.
After trying to gain his composure he smirked to another volunteer “I guess you have a problem with animal control to “
This is an example of why folks are terrified of LBAC and with fear comes hate.
In this one moment your officer showed a child just how evil LBAC is and how terrible the system is.
This could have been avoided had he heeded the warning from the volunteers there.
I am shocked that after all the complaints that are made about your officers and the horrible reputation that the LBAC has and the Nazi like attitude many clearly display – these types are still are allowed to continue working with animals or humans for that matter – this concerns me as well as the many that I will be addressing this to.
I know I have personally seen an officer drag a young jindo while one your new premises and when asked about the availability of that tiny scared pup was told “this one is going down – didn’t you see her try and bite me”
What I saw was a scared little girl – maybe your officers need to start seeing that as well.
Whether this man felt that the bird should be else where, gave him no right to harass, touch or injure another person or pet.
I along with all that will be reading this want to know what you plan on doing about this –
Sincerely,
Alexiea Kyrklund

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home